Agronomy Weekly

September is proving that the weather can change drastically from day to day.  If you're like me and check weather apps every 10 minutes, you are probably just as confused or just think it's all made up anyway.  Here is a look at the rainfall total over the past 30 days:

9/12 - 0.5 inches

8/21 - 0.5 inches

8/20 - 0.3 inches

8/18 - 0.15 inches

8/17 - 0.4 inches

8/16 - 1.0 inch

As we experienced in July this year, the sand cap begins to show its teeth during prolonged periods of little to no rainfall.  Unlike July, we are able to supplement with irrigation, but irrigation alone cannot keep certain areas from drying out and turning brown.  We have seen time and time again that after adequate rainfall the course will respond and begin to green up.  

Our staff is moving through the course daily to cool certain problematic areas down by irrigating during the day as well.  We will continue to manage the course to provide great playing conditions first knowing the reaction after a good rainfall.

Gate System:

This week, we introduced the "Gate System" to SCR.  When used correctly, this system will drastically reduce wear from cart traffic throughout the course.  Post are provided for entry and exit points on each hole.  The post for entry will be stationed near the path to be more visible to you as you find a point to enter.  We ask you drive 90 degrees through the post to the closest point in the fairway.  

The exit posts are stationed in the intermediate cut so they are visible from the fairway.  We ask you also take a 90-degree approach between those posts as you return to the path.  This process will eliminate unsightly ropes throughout the course.  We ask that you help to ensure the course conditions are not lessened due to excessive traffic.  These posts will be moved by our staff periodically to keep the wear limited.

Other Happenings:

• Edging fairway bunkers; all green-side bunkers have been completed
  • Edging collars
  • Spraying aquatic weeds
  • Bush hogging native areas
  • Walk path installed behind No. 2 green; old path will be eradicated

If you should have any questions regarding course conditions or would like to contact me, please feel free at scottn@springcreekranch.org or my cell phone at (901) 201-0320.  Have a great week!

Best wishes,

Scott J. Newman

Golf Course Superintendent