Agronomy Weekly

Good afternoon,

My name is Stephen Cox, and I am glad to be your new Golf Course Superintendent! I would like to thank everyone for welcoming me back to SCR, and I look forward to the year ahead of us.

The agronomy team's main goal is to provide the best putting surfaces, playability and experience around. I will update the latest happenings on the course weekly. Communication is key, so please feel free to reach out to me with any questions at stephenc@springcreekranch.org.

This Weekend

To tag along with the Masters this weekend, we will move to 7:30 AM tee times on Saturdays and Sundays. We also will move off the mats to the grass beginning Friday. Please be aware that we will monitor the growth of the grass on the South End tees. If growth is slower than anticipated, we will move to the mats during the week to conserve grass.

Greens

With warmer nighttime temperatures in the forecast, we have begun lowering our height of cut on the greens. While it is important to raise heights to prevent winter injury, it is also important that we lower heights incrementally to cause less stress on our greens.

Over the next few weeks, heights will be lowered from 0.165" to around 0.100" or less depending on the weather. More aggressive maintenance practices will begin once nighttime temperatures are consistently above 60 degrees.

We will also utilize a light weekly sand topdressing along with mowing & rolling daily to help maintain speeds and smoothness.

Tees & Fairways

The warm temperatures and heavy rainfall have resulted in a quick green-up for our zoysia tees and fairways. The purple/black appearance you may be noticing is the zoysia producing seed heads, which will go away after temperatures increase and the first fertility application is made.

Rough

The palisades zoysia rough is seeing a delayed green-up compared to our greens, tees and fairways.  This is simply because of the mowing height and should reach full green-up in the next 2-3 weeks.

Bunkers

The small bunker left of No. 8 green is currently being renovated.  Our next step is to add gravel, have a polymer sprayed to hold the gravel together while still providing drainage, then add sand to proper depths. Other bunkers throughout the course will be assessed and repaired when possible.

Hole No. 2 Fairway Project

The landing zone of No. 2 fairway has been stripped of sod.  Drainage has been installed, and sod should be delivered April 6th and installed by the end of the day on the 7th.  We were able to purchase meyer zoysia sod from Winstead TurfFarms in Arlington, which is already mowed at fairway height.  This will reduce the transition time and have the landing zone playable within the next few weeks.

Pump Station Repairs

Spring Creek Ranch has 130+ acres of maintained and irrigated turf grass.  Water is supplied by three 75-horsepower pumps located to the left of No. 6 green.  Later this month, we plan to replace all three pumps, shafts, housing and valves.  This will put our water flow rates back at maximum capacity, allowing us to irrigate through the summer droughts.  The project is scheduled to take three full days and will not interrupt play.  These repairs are different than the well pump that was installed last season.